Woman option extended in 2021: requirements, application and news to retire early
With the extension of the Woman Option, several workers – also in 2021 – will be able to have access to pension treatment ahead of time. The early retirement, in this case, is paid upon request of employees and self-employed women, who opt for the contribution-based pension calculation system.
- Woman option: the requirements
- Early retirement with the Woman Option: how it works
- Woman option: how to apply for early retirement
- Women's Option: the news for 2021
- Early pensions: the alternatives to the Female Option
Woman option: the requirements
Employees who have matured, by 31 December, a contribution seniority equal to or greater than 35 years and an age equal to or greater than 58 years (for employees) and 59 years (for employees) can access the early retirement pension with the Female Option. for self-employed women).
Furthermore, in order to be granted the early retirement pension, it is necessary to have terminated any type of employment relationship, while the termination of the activity carried out as a self-employed worker is not required.
For the purposes of completing the contribution requirement, however, the contribution paid or credited to the insured party for any reason can be assessed, without prejudice to the simultaneous completion of the 35-year contribution requirement net of periods of illness, unemployment and / or equivalent benefits, where required by the management in charge of which the pension is paid.
Early retirement with the Woman Option: how it works
Depending on whether they are self-employed or employees, the right to pension treatment through the Female Option is acquired:
- after 12 months from the date of maturity of the requisites, in the event that the pension is paid by the employee pension schemes;
- after 18 months from the date of maturity of the requirements, in the event that the treatment is paid by the social security administrations of self-employed workers.
Woman option: how to apply for early retirement
The application for early retirement through the Woman Option must be submitted online to INPS, by accessing the portal and connecting to the dedicated section of the website. Alternatively, you can apply through the Contact Center at 803 164 (from a landline) or at 06 164 164 (from a mobile network).
The measure can also be accessed by contacting a patronage body or an intermediary of the Institute authorized to provide telematic services offered by INPS.
Women's Option: the news for 2021
The 2021 budget law has extended the possibility of accessing the early retirement treatment with the Woman Option to workers who have completed the requirements by 31 December 2020. By doing so, it has in fact extended the measure to 2021.
With message no. 217 of 19 January 2021, INPS then communicated that, taking into account the latest legislative innovations, workers who have accrued a seniority contribution by 31 December 2020 will be able to obtain pension treatment, according to the rules for calculating the contribution system. minimum age of 35 and a minimum age of 58, if employed, and 59, if self-employed.
Taking into account the date of January 1, 2021, which coincides with the date of entry into force of law no. 178 of 2020, the starting date of the pension cannot in any case be:
- prior to February 1, 2021, for employees and self-employed workers whose pension is paid by the compulsory general insurance and the replacement forms thereof;
- prior to January 2, 2021, for employees whose pension is paid by the exclusive forms of the aforementioned compulsory general insurance.
With reference to the effective date of the pension treatment for female workers in the school and AFAM sectors, different provisions apply (referred to in Article 59, paragraph 9, of Law no. 449 of 27 December 1997). What changes in this case? Taking into account the aforementioned provisions, female workers in possession of the aforementioned requirements can obtain retirement benefits from 1 September 2021 and 1 November 2021 respectively.
The early retirement pension with the Woman Option, in relation to workers who have completed the prescribed requirements by 31 December 2020, can in any case be achieved even after the first effective date.
As for the application procedures, in 2021 they will always remain the same. Applications can then be submitted online, through the INPS portal, or by contacting an authorized patronage / intermediary, or by calling the Contact Center at the numbers indicated above.
For general regulations, especially those not modified by the latest legislative interventions, INPS refers to the instructions issued with circular letters no. 11 of 2019 and no. 18 of 2020.
Early pensions: the alternatives to the Female Option
All workers, especially those who wish to retire early from work, can still resort to other forms of early retirement. This year, for example, those who want to retire early can do so with:
- Quota 100, an economic benefit (expiring) paid, on request, to employees and self-employed workers who accrue, in the period between 1 January 2019 and 31 December 2021, the requisites prescribed by law;
- Social APE, an allowance paid by the State paid by INPS to persons who are in certain conditions (provided for by law), who are at least 63 years old and who are not already entitled to a pension directly in Italy or in the abroad. The indemnity is paid, on request, until reaching the age set for the old-age pension, or until the early retirement or early retirement age is achieved. With the extension of the terms it is possible, in 2021, to apply for previous years.
Finally, workers who have accrued the contribution requirement (41 years and 10 months for women, only 41 years if precocious workers), from 30 January 2019 onwards, obtain the right to pension after three months from the maturity of the aforementioned requirement. They can resort to the cd. "Window", which, however, does not apply to those who have accrued the contribution requirement by 31 December 2018. According to current regulations, this requirement (effective from 1 January 2016) is expected until 31 December 2026.
Employees, private or self-employed, receive the pension from the first day of the month following the submission of the application, while women employed in the Public Administration – registered with the exclusive management of the AGO – from the day following the termination of service.
As for the Female Option, for these forms of early retirement the termination of the employment relationship is an essential requirement. On the other hand, the termination of the activity carried out as a self-employed worker is not required. The methods for submitting the early retirement application are also identical, which can be sent electronically to INPS (by accessing the appropriate section of the portal) or by contacting a patronage body or an intermediary authorized for services. The Contact Center service is also always active on number 803 164 (from a fixed network) or at 06 164 164 (from a mobile network).