To strengthen hair and counteract its fall, it can be useful to use specific supplements: this is how they work and which are the best hair supplements according to the reviews and opinions of users
The health of the hair can be influenced by countless factors including:
- the age; already between 20 and 30 years, in fact, there is a decrease in the hair follicles which can cause a progressive thinning of the hair;
- the genetic and hormonal constitution;
- the presence of certain medical conditions such as, for example, anemia or thyroid problems;
- particular moments in life characterized by high levels of stress or significant changes, such as post partum, when the sudden drop in estrogen hormones can cause increased hair loss.
Nutrition also plays a primary role: if on the one hand an incorrect diet can be the basis of nutritional imbalances that affect the strength and health of the hair, on the other hand it is precisely from the dietary regime that one must start to strengthen the hair and favor it growth, intervening in such a way as to make one's diet varied, balanced and complete with all those nutrients essential for the health of the hair.
As highlighted by the experts of the Italian Society of Trichology, in fact, considering that the hair is made up of proteins for 65-95% (and for the rest of water, lipids, pigments and trace elements), a diet lacking in terms of amino acids, trace elements, minerals (primarily iron) and vitamins, can promote an increase in hair loss, which can be countered, however, if the imbalances are corrected in time.
If there is a need for a further supplement, especially in conjunction with particularly stressful periods or drastic diets, even supplements can prove to be an excellent ally in hair care. However, remember that if you are unsure or have specific conditions, it is always good to consult your doctor.
Before illustrating what are the hair supplements available on the market, here are some tips on what to do if your hair falls out or breaks: it has been proven, in fact, that taking supplements without adequate correction of habits or triggering causes, it often proves useless or ineffective.
Hair falling out
Aggressive treatments such as coloring or bleaching, constantly drying at high temperatures, too frequent washing and the use of unsuitable products are all factors that can negatively affect the health of the hair, exposing the hair to weakening, fragility and a increase in the fall.
As regards the frequency of washing, however, as pointed out by the experts of the Italian Society of Trichology, it is incorrect to identify the frequency of washing as a trigger for the increase in hair loss: the frequency of cleansing the hair, in fact, varies in based on individual characteristics and needs, and therefore contemplates the possibility of even daily washing. On the other hand, it is instead important to choose an adequate detergent, with a delicate action, with a pH between 4 and 6, and which is not excessively degreasing.
Finally, it should be considered that in cases where the increase in hair loss and the consequent hair thinning is temporary (and therefore occurs in conjunction with moments of stress, change of season or food shortages), it is sufficient to eliminate the cause.
Instead, where there is a progressive thinning and the appearance of patches without hair, it is instead advisable to consult a trichologist.
Broken and brittle hair
Even in the presence of damaged hair, the underlying causes can include aggressive treatments, dietary imbalances, specific medical conditions or a lack or insufficient protection of the hair from external agents such as sun, wind, cold, chlorine and salt. In this sense, it is essential to act in advance so that the stem retains its shine and elasticity and is not dry, rough and spongy. Specifically, it is of fundamental importance:
- choose a shampoo suitable for your hair type, preferring products that DO NOT contain sulphates in the INCI (the product label containing all the ingredients), i.e. surfactants with a foaming action widely used in shampoos for their cleansing and degreasing action , which can promote dryness and damage hair;
- moisturize the hair through the use of quality conditioners and oils. Even the periodic application of intensive repair treatments (such as creams or hair masks) can help fight dryness and keep the shaft nourished and shiny. In the case of colored hair, it is better to prefer the application of a protein reconditioner in which the keratin contained is hydrolyzed, so as to be absorbable by the hair;
- comb the hair avoiding excessive traction with a brush or comb, preferring to use a wide-toothed comb or a detangling brush, to be used especially before proceeding with washing the head;
- after washing, to absorb excess water, avoid rubbing the hair with a towel but pat the hair, without rubbing;
- limit the temperature of the hair dryer, straighteners and curling irons, or possibly apply a heat protective spray (which prevents damage due to heat) before proceeding with styling at higher temperatures.
What are the best supplements for falling out or breaking hair?
Given the need to correct the underlying causes of hair loss or brittleness, possibly by consulting your doctor or a specialist such as a trichologist, various formulas are available among the supplements on the market, which can respond to personal needs.
Multivitamins perform an action on several fronts, helping to efficiently fill any nutritional deficiencies. In general, they may contain B vitamins as well as zinc, which contribute to the health of hair follicles, vitamin C, which stimulates blood circulation in the scalp by promoting hair regrowth, and vitamin D, which can even promote the creation of new follicles.
The best seller
The multi-nutrient formulation of the Swisse Hair Skin Nails supplement is high in biotin, which contributes to the maintenance of healthy hair and skin. This supplement also contains zinc, which supports the well-being of hair, skin and nails, and vitamin C, which promotes the normal formation of collagen, a structural protein essential for maintaining healthy skin. Zinc and vitamin C, then, support the protection of cells from oxidative stress, responsible for inflammatory processes and aging.
Customer Reviews: 4.5 out of 5
Click here to buy Swisse Hair Skin Nails
Omega-3 fatty acids
In addition to having beneficial effects on various physiological processes of the body, omega-3s, naturally present in foods such as salmon, avocado and flax seeds as well as in fish oil supplements, help nourish the hair and support its growth, to promote circulation of the scalp and also counteract any inflammation of the follicles associated with hair loss.
The best seller
Nutravita's Omega 3 fish oil capsules, free from artificial colors and flavors, GMOs and allergens such as gluten, lactose and nuts, contain essential fatty acids that contribute to the maintenance of various body functions. Specifically, Omega 3s contain two of the most important essential fatty acids in the form of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid): DHA contributes to the maintenance of normal brain function and vision, and together with EPA supports the normal heart function, all properties confirmed by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).
Customer Reviews: 4.6 out of 5
Click here to buy Nutravita Omega 3 Fish Oil
Biotin, a vitamin belonging to the B vitamin family, plays a fundamental role in the health of hair, skin and nails. Being soluble in water, any excess will be disposed of from the body through the urine.
The best seller
Wella Professionals Invigo Clean scalp is an anti-dandruff shampoo with zinc pyrithione enriched with lotus extract, menthol and allantoin. The product frees the hair and scalp from dandruff, moisturizes the skin and leaves a feeling of cleanliness and freshness on the head.
Customer Reviews: 4.6 out of 5
Click here to buy Wella Professionals Invigo Clean scalp anti-dandruff shampoo