The changes of the stars: the power of the look
When spring approaches we want new light, starting from the hair. So, instead of the usual salon chemical dyes, why not try henna, a natural reflex that can be done at home without the risk of damaging the hair.
Henna, in the form of powder of dried leaves of the Lawsonia inermis plant, can be applied to all hair types as a dye and also has a healing effect, excellent for invigorating the head after the stress of winter. Henna gives the hair volume, vitality and softness, protecting it from external aggressions and helping growth. But you need to follow some simple rules to get results worthy of a professional hairdresser.
What you need:
- About 400 gr of excellent quality Henna (depending on the length of the hair, reduce or increase the dose); 1 jar of yogurt; 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar; a large glass or plastic container; a wooden spoon; a roll of plastic film; a pair of latex gloves; an old Tshirt; red wine / karkadé / lemon / coffee according to the desired color tone.
How to proceed:
- Mix the henna in a large bowl with the yogurt and apple cider vinegar and dilute with hot water. Mix well, taking care not to form lumps and to create a creamy but not too liquid paste. For longer lasting results, cover the container with plastic wrap and let it rest for a few hours before applying it to your hair.
- Wash, dry, comb your hair and put on the old shirt if you don't want to risk ruining some precious items. Henna stains indelibly!
- Separate the hair into strands and begin to apply the henna paste on each strand, starting from the roots to get to the tips. To avoid getting your hands dirty, always use gloves for the operation
- Wrap your hair with plastic wrap or a plastic cap so that nothing drips and your head is warm.
- With a cotton swab dipped in water and cleansing milk, clean any splashes on the forehead or face immediately.
- The intensity of the reflexes varies according to the time of application: starting from a minimum of one hour, it can be used for more than 3 hours. Anyone who wants a very intense color can dare to apply it before bed and keep it all night, wrapping his head well with a towel.
- Rinse well with lukewarm water first and only when the bulk of the henna has gone away, proceed with shampoo and conditioner to remove residues.
Reflections and shades:
- If you want to obtain dark red shades, add red wine to the dough. If you prefer a bright red, add lemon juice or a karkadè infusion. For dark brown reflections, there are those who use one or two cups of coffee.