Facial sweating can be a very annoying and embarrassing problem, here's how to solve it
Excessive facial sweating, known as facial hyperhidrosis, is a rather annoying problem. Find out which are the most effective causes and remedies, to always have a fresh face and feel at ease in any situation.
What is facial hyperhidrosis?
Excessive sweating of the face, or facial hyperhidrosis, is a disorder that affects about 5% of the adult population. Although sweating is a completely normal mechanism, which our body puts in place to lower the temperature and get rid of toxins, in some people this phenomenon is extremely pronounced.
Excessive sweating is called hyperhidrosis. If this phenomenon affects the face the most it is called facial hyperhidrosis. Whether it concerns the whole body, or only the facial area, excessive sweating, particularly for female people, is a significant problem that creates a lot of discomfort. Anyone who suffers in a more accentuated way also encounters difficulties in applying makeup.
What are the causes of excessive sweating of the face?
Our body has about four million sweat glands, which are divided into two categories, depending on the area in which they are located:
- eccrine glands. They are the sweat glands that are found on the face, soles of the feet and palms of the hands and also under the armpits. They produce an odorless sweat;
- apocrine glands, found in the groin area, armpits and on the areolae of the breast. Unlike the eccrine glands, the apocrines react to both hormonal and nervous stimuli.
Both types of sweat glands, in conditions of anxiety, stress, strong emotions, physical malaise or physical effort produce more sweat because they are in a condition of over-stimulation. Excessive consumption of alcohol and caffeine can also cause hyperhidrosis. Menopausal women, overweight people and adolescents are three categories of people who, more than others, run the risk of suffering from facial hyperhidrosis.
The most effective remedies against hyperhidrosis
Fortunately, there are several solutions, including surgery, to remedy the problem of hyperhidrosis. Here are what they are:
- pay attention to the diet. A diet rich in fatty and spicy foods, with an excessive consumption of alcohol or caffeine can cause hyperhidrosis, therefore it is better to limit alcoholic beverages and coffee and eat light, if you want to avoid having your face always sweaty;
- apply a sweat-resistant face cream. Like the armpit deodorant, even the anti-sweat facial creams create a barrier that prevents the skin from transpiring, naturally regulating the production of sweat;
- resort to surgery. As the experts at the Niguarda Hospital in Milan explain, in recent years a minimally invasive surgery has been studied that definitively solves the problem of hyperhidrosis;
Natural remedies against hyperhidrosis
Those suffering from excessive sweating of the face also have various natural remedies available to remedy the problem:
- drink an herbal tea of salvia officinalis, which has anti-phosphate and antioxidant properties;
- spray a mixture made with 100 ml of water and 50 drops of hamamelis mother tincture onto the face.