A young Englishman who died of mould: can a house that is too damp really kill you?

A young Englishman who died of mould: can a house that is too damp really kill you?

According to The Sun, a 27-year-old man died of acute respiratory distress while living in a mold-infested house. But can humidity kill? The answer of Dr Gérald Kierzek, medical director of TipsForWomens.

A 27-year-old Briton died a few months ago while living in a mold-infested home. The story of Luke Brook, reported by The Sunwould directly implicate the excessive humidity of his house.

Cough rash, sore throat…until death

Since living in this mold-ridden house, Luke Brooks suffered from chronic colds. A detail that had not escaped those around him: his mother, worried about his health, had begged him to find something else. But the young man, who remained there, succumbed to acute respiratory distress syndrome a few weeks later, indicates the daily. In just six days Luke developed a cough, rash and sore throat.

And humidity could well be the cause of death according to the investigation. Several problems were accumulating: an unrepaired boiler, broken radiators, and mold that persisted on the walls of the unsanitary apartment. Factors that probably favored a weakened state of the young man. “If the organisms had not been present, it would be standard bronchial pneumonia.” says Abdul Ganjifrockwala, a pathologist interviewed by SkyNews.

Aspergillosis, a fatal risk… Among the most vulnerable populations

Should we panic if there is a trace of mold in our interior? Dr Gérald Kierzek takes stock.

“Humidity is indeed at the origin of fungi called Aspergillus, of which there are different forms, but which carry spores through the air, which can be inhaled and which are responsible for 80% of human aspergillosis” .

Human aspergillosis can then take several forms:This can give allergic phenomena above all, but also an aspergilloma, when the spores come to nest in a cavity linked to tuberculosis for example”. Finally, there may be a more serious aspergillosis, which is called invasive, the third cause of fungal infection in Europe, but which only affects immunocompromised people.

“The risk affects people whose immune system is weakened: transplant patients on immunosuppressants, cancer treatment, HIV-related immunosuppression… In their case, aspergillosis can result in fever, cough, chest pain, difficulty breathing, and a rare, severe form of pneumonia. The treatment is based on antifungals to start quickly” confirms the doctor.

Fighting against humidity in your home remains a priority. “And one of the first means available is to regularly ventilate your home” reminds the specialist.

Indoor air pollution: how to breathe better at home

Slide: Indoor air pollution: how to breathe better at home