Beef tartare, hot dogs, sausages and mash… If children’s favorite dishes seem harmless most of the time, this is not the case. Certain specialties can lead to poisoning, cancer, or even a risk of suffocation. Update on the most dangerous dishes for children.
Sausage and mash
While it’s a Monday night classic, sausage and mash isn’t without its dangers. In 2014, a two-and-a-half-year-old boy died of suffocation while eating a Knacki sausage. The slice of sausage turned out to be too bulky for his windpipe. To prevent the risk of choking, there is only one solution: cut the sausage lengthwise then into very small pieces.
A study dating from 2013 shows that 12% of choking incidents occurring in infants are caused by round sausages found in hot dog buns. These can cause complete obstruction of your child’s airways. In addition, the soft bread in this sandwich should also be avoided, as it can stick to the palate.
Children love nuggets. Except that very often, industrial chicken pieces are “washed” in a vat of disinfectant (acidified sodium chloride, trisodium phosphate, peroxycarboxylic acids, etc.) then mixed with multiple additives including monosodium glutamate, a controversial ingredient for several decades.
The American Academy of Pediatrics assures that this food “causes a risk of suffocationt”. According to them, the flakes, with their spiked edges, can get stuck in the throats of little ones, causing nausea or choking.
Although it is delicious accompanied by fries, beef tartare can carry many microbes. The Ministry of Agriculture therefore recommends “to avoid the consumption of raw or undercooked meat (ground horse or beef meat, steak tartare, barbecue without cooking through, undercooked poultry meat, etc.)” in young children. The ideal? Wait until they are 4 or even 5 years old.
The same goes for this raw specialty: it is not recommended for young children to avoid any risk of poisoning. Dangerous bacteria can indeed nest there.
These little plump cheeses are responsible for premature deaths among toddlers every year. They actually form a compact lump in the throat, very difficult to extract.
“In general, all ultra-processed products, full of sugars and additives, and which have an extended shelf life date, should be avoided. The more raw and natural dishes we prepare at home, the better it is for children“, concludes Dr Cocaul, nutritionist.