How do you know if your relationship will last? Certain phrases, spoken regularly, would reveal good understanding and optimal communication in your relationship. Explanations with Amélie Boukhobza, psychologist.
If a solid relationship is built on common values (trust, commitment, respect), certain phrases would reveal its durability.
Interact with respect and kindness
According to Cortney Warren, a psychologist specializing in romantic relationships, the way you interact with others is essential to making a relationship last.
“Every relationship has its difficult moments. But what really matters is how you and your partner interact on a regular basis“, she explains, in an article for CNBC Make It.
An observation shared by our expert psychologist, Amélie Boukhobza.
“I believe that in life as a couple, communication is one of the most important things. Not just big declarations of love, but also little everyday things. Sentences, often very simple, which can be comforting or supportive, demonstrate the attention that we can pay to each other and therefore the solidity of the couple..”
Key phrases to repeat
So, what can you do to improve your relationship?
According to our psychologist expert, saying certain sentences would consolidate the couple, such as:
- “How was your day ?” : “This question isn’t a big deal. And yet it is a sign of concern and interest in the life of the other. It shows that what your partner is experiencing is important… and that marks listening”;
- “I’m here for you” : “It’s of the same order. It means providing support to others in difficult times or situations. It is a pillar of trust in a couple,” assures the specialist;
- “Let’s laugh about this together”: “Humor is one of the most powerful cements in relationships. Laughing together at the little vagaries of life is a sign that you can find lightness even in stressful moments”;
- “I respect your opinion, your opinion”: “Mutual respect for opinions, even in the event of disagreement, is fundamental. This phrase shows that you value your partner’s thoughts and feelings. And that you are ready to move on your own, to decenter yourself, to hear it even if you do not agree”;
- “I would like some time just for us” or “let’s take some time for ourselves”: “This sentence marks a desire to nourish the relationship. Recognizing the importance of spending quality time together as a couple is essential to keeping the flame alive.”