Creamy, fresh and delicious, protein ice cream is a perfect spoon dessert in the summer season. Without added sugar, it is ideal for everyone thanks to the few calories it contains.
A must-have of the latest generation suitable for almost all diets, which allows you not to give up some delicious pleasures.
Easy to make, with simple ingredients, it is prepared without an ice cream maker using the firm pulp of some fruits and the creaminess of Greek yoghurt.
It is perfect for a light after-dinner meal, as a snack or a healthy protein snack instead of the usual desserts, but also ideal before or after a sports workout. So much so that it is often renamed “fit ice cream”. On the market it is already ready, but it is better to prepare it with fresh and measured ingredients.
Protein ice cream recipe
Protein ice cream
- 1 banana
- 150 g Greek yogurt (1 jar)
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 4 teaspoons of bitter cocoa
- 40ml soy milk
- chopped hazelnuts to taste
- almond slices to taste
- fresh fruit to taste
- In the mixer jar or in the blender jug put the sliced banana (preferably slightly chilled in the freezer), the Greek yogurt that you will have kept in the freezer in the ice cube tray, the bitter cocoa and the honey. You can also add maple syrup or stevia, but only if you like a very sweet taste.
- Dilute the ingredients with a little vegetable milk. We have chosen the soy one, the most protein ever, but you can also opt for the rice or almond one. Blend everything at maximum speed with small intervals, so as not to overheat the appliance.
- When the dough has a velvety, thick and creamy appearance, transfer it to a bowl with a lid and put it in the freezer to rest for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, remember to let it soften, put it in cups and garnish as desired with chocolate flakes, chopped hazelnuts, almond slices, flaked coconut or fresh fruit, in order to lower the glycemic index as well.
The choice of fruit
In the preparation, you can replace the banana with other firm-fleshed fruits: mango, peaches or berries. In reality, in the “fit” recipe, powdered proteins should also be added, such as those of cocoa, milk, soy or hemp.
If you want to make it even more “dietary”, add some fibers such as the mixture of fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS).
Calories and properties of protein ice cream
Protein ice cream is a light recipe with a low sugar content, rich in protein and fiber and low in calories: around 200 kcal per portion, according to our recipe.
Always in the right doses, it can be consumed by those suffering from diabetes, high cholesterol, metabolic syndrome and overweight. The proteins contained stimulate the metabolism, because their assimilation burns about 25% of the calories they provide; while the fibers allow to assimilate less fat, cholesterol and sugars, also regulating the intestine.
Ideal for those who keep an eye on their weight and for those who practice sports. Protein ice cream, consumed an hour and a half or two before a workout, provides the right energy; while, taken after the workout, it replenishes efforts.
Protein powders are a useful supplement in restoring recovery and muscle development after physical activity. They contain all the essential amino acids and are high value proteins.
Protein ice cream: a new generation of ice cream
Nowadays, thanks to information and appeals from doctors and nutritionists, more attention is paid to a healthier and more balanced diet, without giving up small pleasures. In full Tipsforwomens style.
It is with this in mind – thinking about what the average consumer wants – that two enterprising young artisan ice cream makers from the lower Como area have invented a product with low caloric intake and high protein content: Yulty ice cream (“you”, tu/voi, “healthy”, health, well-being: “your well-being”, protein ice cream). One of the young creators is passionate about fitness, a discipline in which food plays a fundamental role. Attention to sports nutrition is therefore essential. The two partners thus experimented with a healthy product, with few calories, which focuses on both flavor and nutritional qualities.
From the small artisan laboratory, without funding, a product is born that immediately collects the approval of other manufacturing companies, so much so that it is presented at Cibus Connecting America 2023, opening the doors to a new future for ice cream.
Our homemade version is certainly more rustic and less elaborate, but still good, genuine and… protein.