The veggie burger is a valid alternative to the classic meat burger. Prepared with legumes, potatoes and vegetables, it is perfect to consume if you are following a vegetarian diet, because it provides you with a source of vegetable protein.
Lentils are the protagonists of this veggie burger. But all legumes lend themselves very well to this type of recipe: you could use, for example, chickpeas or beans. The result would still be excellent.
To complete this dish and give it an extra touch, there is the veg mayonnaise, prepared without eggs, but with soy milk, oil and lemon. A very light and healthy sauce that guarantees taste and lightness.
Veggie burger recipe
- 220 g already boiled lentils
- 200 g of potato
- 30 g breadcrumbs
- 50 g mixed salad
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 3 teaspoons veg mayonnaise about 7-10 g sandwich
- 3 sesame buns
- 2 tomatoes
- parsley to taste
- timo q.b.
- sale q.b.
For the veggie mayonnaise
- 50ml soy milk
- 65ml sunflower oil
- 7 ml lemon juice
- sale q.b.
- Boil the potatoes in their skins. Once cooked, peel them and let them cool completely.
- Turn on the oven at 200°.
- Carefully drain the lentils from the cooking liquid with a sieve, place them together with the potatoes, add the thyme, parsley and minced piece of garlic.
- Blend everything until you get a uniform consistency. Add the breadcrumbs and mix quickly.
- Now line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With the help of a circular pasta cup, shape the burgers: just place the pasta cup on the pan, fill it with the mixture of our veggie burger, compact with a spoon and remove the mold and you will get veggie burgers with a perfect shape.
- Place your veggie burgers in the oven and cook until they are golden brown.
- In the meantime, prepare the veg mayonnaise, it will take a few seconds: put the soy milk, oil, lemon juice and salt in a cup or large glass, blend with a mixer or blender for a few seconds, mayonnaise will form instantly, thick and creamy.
- Store in the fridge until serving.
- Now assemble the sandwiches: open them in half and place the veggie burgers, a few lettuce leaves, the tomato and a teaspoon of veg mayonnaise inside. Serve immediately.
- Alternatively, you can also try the Tipsforwomens vegan mayonnaise recipe.
The veggie burger on a diet
This recipe balances the vegetable proteins represented by legumes with the carbohydrates of potatoes and bread cereals, thus making this dish complete from a nutritional point of view.
In fact, legumes lack some amino acids which are instead contained in cereals and vice versa, the association of both makes the proteins in lentils more noble. The result is a balanced, tasty and healthy dish that you can also eat on a diet, accompanying it with a fresh green salad.
Nutritional properties of potatoes and lentils
- Lentils are legumes with a high nutritional value because they contain a good percentage of proteins, they are also rich in vitamins, mineral salts and fibers which help keep the intestine healthy and fight constipation. The presence of isoflavones, powerful antioxidants, makes this legume a real panacea for health.
- Potatoes are rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that counteracts the action of free radicals and the consequent cellular oxidation which causes many pathologies, including neurovegetative, cardiological and inflammatory ones. The potatoes together with the hamburger bread contribute to the carbohydrate share of the recipe.
This recipe is Antonella’s idea from the blog “Fotogrammi di Zucchero”.