This part of your reusable water bottle can make you sick

This part of your reusable water bottle can make you sick

Do you wash your water bottle often? An influencer discovered that if you don’t clean any part of it regularly, you could be prone to illness. Explanations.

Last December, a 19-year-old influencer explained on TikTok that she had fallen ill several times without knowing why. Between bronchitis, sinus infection and painful sore throat, she decided to wash her water bottle. Miracle, she hasn’t been sick since! What is the real reason for these infections? TipsForWomens enlightens you.

What is this related to?

While washing her bottle, the young girl discovers that the silicone part located under the cap is full of mold and has been for some time. Indeed, this part which guarantees the watertightness of the bottle must absolutely be cleaned regularly. In general, mold develops in a closed, humid environment: the bottle is therefore the ideal place for bacteria! Note, however, that it is also possible to remove the silicone part of the bottle, and drink without it.

Be careful, because drinking from a moldy bottle and ingesting some of the bacteria can make you very sick. Symptoms can include nausea, diarrhea, breathing problems, cramps or even unexplained infections.

@johanowens23921

My water bottle landed me in the ER—it was‘poisoning’me for weeks

♬ original sound – JohanOwens23921

Other items in the house to check

You might not think about it, but many everyday objects also need to be washed regularly. As with the water bottle, lack of maintenance of these objects can be the cause of accelerated development of mold and bacteria.

Among these home accessories, we find plastic cutting boards for the kitchen. When they are not cleaned and wiped properly, germs can grow more easily. Moreover, it is strongly recommended to use a board for each type of food (fruits/vegetables, meat, fish, etc.). Likewise, pillowcases must be changed regularly because they are in direct contact with perspiration and dust mites. It is also highly recommended to wash your kitchen towels. These could contain bacteria such as Escherichia.Coli.