It’s the new fashion for losing weight: eat only bananas for breakfast, before returning to a traditional diet for the rest of the day. How does this new slimming diet work? How many kilos can we hope to lose? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this method? We take stock.
We knew that the banana was an exotic fruit good for health, thanks to its richness in nutrients such as group B vitamins, essential for the proper functioning of the body as well as in minerals such as potassium, magnesium and phosphorus with anti-fatigue properties, but we discovered that it can be a slimming food. It is in fact the basis of the slimming method developed by Japanese pharmacist Sumiko Watanabé, who wanted to help her husband lose weight. The principle of the diet? To lose weight, every morning, it is possible to only eat bananas, whether for breakfast or as a snack. Its name: the “banana diet”.
What is the method of this banana slimming diet?
Unlike monodiet diets which only recommend the consumption of a single food, excluding all others from its menus, this slimming diet consists of eating only bananas, as much as you like, for breakfast, and, if necessary, as a mid-morning snack. It is possible to eat them raw or cooked, depending on your preferences.
The composition of lunch and dinner meals, on the other hand, is classic, that is to say based on the rules of balanced nutrition. However, certain foods are allowed and others prohibited, and it is no longer possible to eat after 8 p.m.
What foods are allowed as part of this banana slimming diet?
Foods to include in your lunch and dinner meals are:
- Cooked and raw vegetables;
- The fruits ;
- Poultry ;
- Fish and seafood;
- Eggs ;
- Legumes and whole grains.
Steam cooking and low-fat preparations should be preferred. As for hydration, this diet recommends drinking water, at room temperature, and herbal teas.
What foods are prohibited in this slimming diet?
To lose weight, the following foods are not allowed in the method:
- Red meat ;
- The cold cuts ;
- Refined cereals;
- Dairy products ;
- Dishes in sauce;
- Sugar and sweet products (pastries, biscuits, pastries, etc.);
- Industrial products;
- Fast food products;
- Fatty products (cream, butter, etc.);
- Industrial sodas and fruit juices;
- The alcohol ;
How can a banana diet promote weight loss?
According to its creator, lipase, an enzyme present in this exotic fruit, promotes the burning of fat in the body and, in turn, allows you to lose a few pounds. “In addition, the consumption of bananas, fruits rich in carbohydrates and fiber, brings rapid and lasting satiety: two to three bananas are enough to curb the appetite upon waking and avoid cravings during the morning, which reduces the number of calories ingested“, specifies Raphaël Gruman, dietitian-nutritionist.
Particularly if your breakfast menu initially included fatty and sugary foods like cereals, jam or pastries. “The choice of bananas is important, specifies the dietitian. Prefer unripe fruits because they then have a lower glycemic index, which keeps you full longer.“.
How many kilos can we hope to lose with this slimming diet?
On average, this diet allows you to lose 2 to 3 kg per week. Please note, this method should not be followed over the long term: it is rather an express diet which can last between 3 and 12 days.
What are the benefits of the banana diet?
Following this slimming diet has some benefits:
- It is easy to follow since it does not revolutionize the organization of meals and does not require complicated shopping;
- This slimming diet does not advocate the use of food supplements;
- Banana is not a particularly expensive fruit and can be found all year round. It is also very easy to consume and take with you;
- This diet highlights the consumption of a fruit rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber;
- “Banana is a very filling fruit, which limits cravings during the morning.assures Raphaël Gruman;
- This diet limits the consumption of foods that are too fatty and sugary from breakfast;
- “Meals for the rest of the day are varied and balanced, which limits the risk of deficiencies and does not risk causing health problems.remarks the dietician;
- This slimming diet does not cause social exclusion and allows you to maintain the pleasures of the table, whether at home, in a restaurant or with friends;
- It is compatible with special diets: vegetarians, vegans, as well as people who eat halal or kosher can follow it without difficulty.
What are the disadvantages of following this banana diet?
The negative points when following this slimming diet are as follows:
- The breakfast menu is far from being diversified, which can lead to long-term weariness;
- Excessive consumption of bananas can promote transit disorders, particularly for people suffering from fragile intestines;
- Since bananas are a sweet fruit, consuming them in excess can cause hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia in the most vulnerable people.
“Furthermore, weight loss is rapid, which can lead, when stopping the diet and resuming a normal diet, to regain the lost pounds, sometimes accompanied by a little extra weight., adds Raphaël Gruman. Moreover, for lasting weight loss without fatigue, the High Authority of Health recommends a loss of 2 to 2.5 kg/month.1.
Is this banana diet recommended for everyone?
To lose weight, some people cannot follow this slimming method. “Since bananas are very rich in potassium, this diet is contraindicated for people who need to follow a controlled diet of this mineral, says the dietitian. It is also not recommended for type 1 and 2 diabetics, banana being a food rich in sugar“.
Finally, due to the lack of dietary diversity, it is also not a diet to recommend to pregnant or breastfeeding women, as well as children, adolescents and the elderly.