Mattel launches the first CarbonNeutral-certified toy line with the new MEGA BLOK Green Town constructions
How can we create a brighter and more sustainable world? Starting with the toys. For this reason, from Mattel comes a new Matchbox waste recycling truck made with recycled plastic, electric vehicles made with recycled zinc and Tesla Roadster CarbonNeutral.
Mattel, Inc., one of the largest toy companies in the world, has expanded its sustainable product offering with the debut of new items in the lines of the famous brands MEGA and Matchbox, with the goal of obtaining 100% plastics recycled, recyclable or bio-based in all its products and packaging by 2030.
The new MEGA BLOKS Green Town ™ line
MEGA, the world leader in construction toys for preschoolers, wants to help make the future brighter and more sustainable with MEGA BLOKS Green Town, the first CarbonNeutral-certified toy line. For Earth Month, four new MEGA BLOKS Green Town building sets teach kids ages 1 and up a greener way to play in different ways:
- Each playset, such as Come the Eco Amici Bio House and the Eco Amici Bio Farm, is made with at least 56% of plant materials and at least 26% of circular bio-plastic certified with International Sustainability & Carbon Certification (ISCC *) (approach of mass balance).
- Each product is CarbonNeutral certified by Natural Capital Partners, the leading experts in carbon neutrality and climate finance. To achieve CarbonNeutral® product certification, MEGA purchased carbon offsets (less than 500 tons of carbon dioxide equivalent) from the Darkwood Forests Conservation project in Canada.
- Packaging is made with 100% Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC) certified paper or cardboard, as well as soy-based inks and water-based paints to improve recyclability.
- Each set is designed to help teach sustainable behaviors through play, such as recycling, the use of electric transport, the protection of honey bees and the choice of renewable energy sources. Green Town building sets are also available on it and have been awarded the Climate Pledge Friendly label.
Matchbox “Guide to a Better Future” and Matchbox Tesla Roadster
In 2021, Matchbox announced the “Guide to a Better Future” project, the roadmap to produce all Matchbox toy cars, playsets and packaging from 100% recycled, recyclable or bio-based plastics by 2030, in line with the Mattel’s corporate goal.
Illustrating these principles comes the highly anticipated Matchbox Tesla Roadster, its first diecast vehicle made from 99% recycled materials and Carbon Neutral certified.
Matchbox introduces multiple products designed to have a lower impact on the environment, while also encouraging greener play patterns, including:
- New toy car multipacks representing a large assortment of electric vehicles (EVs) from brands such as BMW, Nissan, Honda among others.
- A new waste recycling truck made with 80% ISCC certified biocircular plastic (mass balance approach).
- New game playsets that use at least 40% ISCC certified biocircular plastic (mass balance approach).
- Products designed to be easily recycled, for example with the integration of easily removable and recyclable electronic components in the new playsets and in the new Garbage Truck.
- Video content that helps parents educate their children about the benefits of electric vehicles.