The light lemon cake is a dietetic dessert with a delicate taste. It’s perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth even when you’re on a diet, because it’s prepared without fat, replacing butter with low-fat yogurt.
The result is a soft and fluffy dessert, which you can possibly also fill with a veil of jam – to make it even tastier. Alternatively, you can easily cook the classic lemon cake at home and, for coeliacs, the gluten-free variant.
Light lemon cake: a very tasty lemon cake
You can prepare the lemon donut for breakfast or as a snack: it is also suitable for your children, for a morning or afternoon snack, or to take to school.
And then, once ready, it keeps well for a few days, wrapped in aluminum or transparent film.
This light lemon cake manages to keep calories down, just 190 per serving. Soft and without butter, for the success of the dessert it is important that the lemons are of quality, perhaps organic and very fragrant; on the other hand, the main characteristics of this cake are its fresh aroma and softness.
The recipe for the light lemon cake
Light lemon cake
- 225 g white flour
- 125 g low-fat yogurt, preferably with lemon
- 125 g sugar
- 1 lemon (for peel and juice)
- 3 eggs
- 1 sachet of yeast
- salt a pinch
- Mix the sugar and egg yolks and whisk them until they become a cream.
- Whisk the egg whites and set them aside.
- Melt the yeast in the yoghurt and add a little yoghurt and a little flour to the sugar and yolk mixture, alternating them.
- Mix everything together, add the lemon juice and the grated lemon peel. Incorporate the egg whites into the mixture, mixing from bottom to top so they don’t disassemble.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and floured pan and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Let the cake cool and serve.
Properties and nutritional values of the light cake with lemon
Not only is it just a fluffy and delicious dessert, but it’s also good for you!
In fact, the dietetic lemon cake contains yogurt (calcium + vitamins), eggs (proteins + mineral salts) and lemon (vitamin C), which make it nutritious and healthy. One or two slices of this cake a day are acceptable as part of a balanced diet and typical summer movement.
The word to the nutritionist
By replacing the butter with yogurt, the only source of fat in this cake is represented by the 3 eggs, to be divided into 8 portions, therefore the amount of cholesterol per person is very low. A sweet that can be eaten without feeling guilty, with a very low calorie intake and animal fats.
Luca Piretta – nutritionist doctor