Melon ice cream is a fresh dessert that you can enjoy in peace when you want a dessert that is not too heavy but full of flavour. It is easily prepared with very few ingredients, obviously starting with the melon which must be ripe and fragrant.
You will then need fresh cream and a little sugar. The rest of the work will be done by the ice cream maker. Our version is also made without eggs. This further limits the presence of fat without losing flavour.
Melon ice cream, an exquisite break
Ice cream is by far one of the most loved preparations. Refreshing, sweet, greedy. It has all the qualities of a light snack or a pleasant after-meal. This is combined with the properties of fruit that make this dessert even more precious. What could be tastier than a melon ice cream to be enjoyed as a snack?
Compared to a sorbet, in which the fruit is mixed with a sugar syrup and subsequently frozen, melon ice cream however has a fat part, represented by the milk-cream combination.
In addition, it is worked for a long time to incorporate air and thus obtain a much softer cream. If you prefer something lighter, try our melon granita.
Melon ice cream, the recipe
- 300 g of melon pulp
- 250 ml of whole milk
- 250 ml of whipping cream
- 80 g of sugar
- Mix the milk and sugar well. Then add the melon cut into small pieces and blend everything with a mixer.
- Add the cream and pour the mixture into the ice cream maker. Let it go for at least half an hour or until you feel the blades struggle.
- Once ready, the melon ice cream can be placed in a tray in the freezer before being served.
Melon ice cream without an ice cream maker
You can make excellent melon ice cream even without an ice cream maker. For 500 grams of melon pulp you will need 250 grams of whipping cream and sugar to taste.
If the melon is very ripe, you may not need any sugar at all. Give it a try then.
- Puree the melon pulp with a blender, pour it into a bowl with the cold cream from the fridge and whip the mixture. When the cream is thicker, pour the mixture into a bowl with a lid and then into the freezer.
- Stir the mixture every half hour for at least three times and then leave it to rest in the freezer overnight. Before serving, leave it at room temperature for a few minutes.
- If it turns out to be too frozen, you can blend it with a mixer equipped with blades to make it creamier.
The variant with the Thermomix
Even with the Thermomix you can prepare melon ice cream in a relatively easy way. You will only have to remember to freeze 300 grams of melon pulp the day before.
- Start preparing the ice cream just before serving. Start by pouring 40 grams of sugar into the mixing bowl and pulverize it for 10 seconds at speed 10.
- Add the frozen melon and let it go for 10 seconds on speed 8.
- Pour 70 grams of unwhipped fridge cream and blend for 30 seconds at speed 5. The ice cream is ready and can also be made without sugar if the melon is very ripe.
Melon ice cream: nutritional properties
The melon is a low calorie fruit and rich in water. It brings a high quantity of mineral salts and vitamins as a dowry. Let’s see in detail the data relating to the summer melon.
- Potassium 333 mg.
- Zinco 0,3 mg.
- Calcium 19 mg.
- Phosphorus 13 mg.
- Magnesio 11 mg.
- Vitamin C 32 mg.
- Vitamin B3 0.6 mg.
- Vitamin B6 0.11 mg.
To this picture must be added the nutritional characteristics of whole milk with its proteins, the richness of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium and vitamins: A, D, E and B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6.
How to include it in the diet?
It is a dessert that can really be eaten without too much guilt. A small concession is not only useful for not losing motivation, but also serves as a reward. So, once a week this melon ice cream can be enjoyed as a tasty snack.